Orthodontics West Island
Treatment that starts as a child is growing helps to produce optimal results however healthy teeth can receive orthodontic treatment at any age.
Orthodontics will improve the look of your smile as well as your overall health. If you are not satisfied with the look of your teeth or how they work, orthodontic treatment may help.
Why would I need orthodontic treatment?
Orthodontic treatments are used to straighten and align teeth or correct malocclusion (bad bite) by applying gentle pressure on your teeth to move them into the right position, through braces or other appliances.
If your top and bottom teeth do not align properly it affects your bite. There are several types of bad bites: overbite, crossbite, overjet and open bite.
The main causes of malocclusion are:
- missing, crooked, crowded or protruding teeth;
- finger or thumb sucking as a child;
- speech problem;
- prolonged bottle-feeding or use of a pacifier;
- mouth breathing.
What are the potential consequences of not treating malocclusion?
The structure of your mouth and gums needs a proper alignment so when malocclusion is left untreated the problem may become worse over time.
- Some of your teeth may wear down because the bad bite makes it difficult to chew some foods. It will also create stress on your supporting bone and gum tissue and misalignment of the jaw joints. This may cause chronic headaches, muscle tension and pain.
- Speech impairment will not be corrected or improved.
- If your teeth stick out, they will more easily chip or break.
- If, your teeth are crowded or crooked, they will be harder to clean and therefore more subject to cavities and gum disease.
Correcting minor orthodontic issues is often less costly than the additional dental care required to treat more serious problems that can result in the future.
How long is the Orthodontic treatment?
The length of the treatment depends on your age, the complexity of the problem and the technique used,
Clinical studies have demonstrated that The Damon system used at Pointe-Claire dental clinic is often faster than traditional braces. On average, SPARK Clear aligner treatment time is 12 to 18 months though you can start seeing some results in weeks.
The importance of regular dental exams
During your periodic dental exam, Dr. Mauricio Galvis, Pointe-Claire dentist, will always check for any signs and symptoms of malocclusion. If he thinks that you or your child may suffer from a bad bite, he may recommend to perform an orthodontic screening. This will help confirm if that is the case and the kind of treatment that would be required to treat or stop the progression of the problem.
In the case of children or teenagers, early evaluation and detection will enable him to follow up closely on the growth of their teeth and intervene in a timely manner, therefore providing preventive care and avoiding more serious problems at a later date.